We’re here to answer any question you might have about our gym, classes, services or anything! If you don’t see one of your questions answered here, please contact us so we can help you 1 on 1! And let us know when you are ready to get started! See you at the gym!
What classes are good for beginners?
We pride ourselves on making each class accessible to any level. Total Newbies will love PDX 101, bootcamps, and strength squad. Group Strength and Conditioning classes are slightly more advanced, but totally scaleable to any level of fitness. Another option is personal training. Beginners can start with a few personal training sessions and then transition to classes when they feel comfortable.
What if I’m not in good enough shape to do this?
Our classes are infinitely scaleable and every workout can be modified to any members fitness level. Coaches are there as advocates to prescribe modifications when needed. We educate members on the difference between being uncomfortable and being in pain. Our classes are truly meant for all ages, shapes and abilities.
What if these classes are too intense?
Many people new to this type of training will likely not know how to gauge their levels of intensity. Intensity is something that is added over time as technique improves. Our coaches help build the foundation by teaching technique and consistency. Once that is achieved then you add intensity.
What if I’m nervous about getting hurt?
Our classes are designed to establish motor skills, competency and build the structural strength and integrity that will allow our athletes to handle more advanced movement patterns as they continue with our Group Strength and Conditioning program.
Keeping this in mind, we want to develop our skills in the following order:
Many beginners make the mistake of skipping the first two points and head straight to Intensity and Volume. We know how badly you want to be in shape, but this is a no nonsense approach, and we must take the correct path by learning the progressions, addressing our individual movement issues and developing good habits. By taking this mature approach to training, injuries can be prevented. At PDXstrength, athletes are not pressured to do any movement or lift any weight that makes them feel uncomfortable.
What if I have past injuries?
If you have past injuries, or an ongoing injury our coaches are more than happy to modify any workout so that you can avoid injuring that area again. We strive to make every workout safe and are totally cool about working around injuries.
What are your prices for memberships and drop ins?
Check out our Get Started page and scroll down for our current rates.
Do I have to sign a contract or get locked into payments?
You can cancel your membership at anytime, but we need a 30 day notice. When you sign up for monthly unlimited, we will automatically bill you each month until you notify us if you’d like to make changes. Just email email@example.com for any account issues. There are no joining fees etc. We don’t lock our members into contracts, because our members WANT to workout with us! Membership fees go up 5 percent every 12 months. We do not offer refunds, but we can credit your account if issues/conflicts arise with class/workshop purchases.
What if I already have a mindbody account with another studio? Do I still need to create one with PDXstrength?
Unfortunately at this point, Mindbody does not sync your account. A separate account needs to be created for each studio you participate in. Sorry for the hassle.
Do you have Open Gym?
Yes we have designated Open Gym hours. We also have Open Gym access 5am-Midnight everyday of the week for an additional $35 a month. You can find the schedule on Mindbody.
What is the rate for Personal Training sessions?
Our coaches charge slightly different rates, but on average $80 an hour.
How do I register for my first free class?
Please create a mindbody account for each athlete that wants to try out a class. After creating your account, take a look at the schedule and contact us about which class you want to take. Any of our all levels classes are fair game. (Group Strength and Conditioning classes are slightly more advanced, but every class at PDXstrength is for all levels)
Can I freeze my membership?
You can freeze your membership for up to 3 months. By freezing your membership you won’t lose the rate that you are paying. Our rates go up every year for new members. Once you become a member you can lock in that rate.
Do you have showers or changing rooms?
Yes we have changing rooms and access to showers in the building. If you need to use the shower please ask the coach for the access code.
What Should I bring to Class?
Bring a water bottle and your exercise mat for Yoga classes. We have a pro shop if you forget anything.
Is PDXstrength a Crossfit gym?
Absolutely Not 🙂 We believe that fitness is not a competition. Fitness is an individual and personal journey and we emphasize quality movement over quantity.
What are you Covid-19 protocols?
- Every member or drop in guest must SIGN UP ON MINDBODY prior to class. We need to have mandatory record of attendance and also this is crucial because of class occupancy standards.
- Wearing a mask inside the gym is mandatory if you are not vaccinated. Please show proof of vaccination prior to class if you would like to workout without a mask.
- Masks outside are your personal preference as long as you safely social distance.
- We will ask our staff to wear a mask while coaching class.
- You will be asked to disinfect your hands outside the studio with provided hand sanitizer
- You must bring your own exercise MAT.
- Leave your belongings in your car. We will not be able to provide cubby storage at this time.
- Bring a water bottle. Our drinking fountain will not be available. We do have running water you can fill up with and water for sale.
- Members will have their temperature taken and answer a questionnaire before permitted to attend class.
- If member is sick, failed to pass the questionnaire or has a high temperature they will be politely asked not to join class that day
- Members may use the bathroom or fill up water bottle, only if they can follow the flow of traffic, sanitize hands and maintain 6 feet distance from others.
- Members are to follow and stay inside the designated flow of traffic while traveling through the facility.
- Flow of traffic lane will be cleaned between classes
- Our bathroom facilities will be cleaned twice per day
- Facility will be deep cleaned at the end of the day and in-between classes
- If you’d like to purchase anything from the pro shop, tell your coach and they will record it so that our pens are only used by one person.